Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review: Inescapable by Amy A. Bartrol

Blurb:
My name is Evie Claremont and this was to be the making of me--my freshman year of college. I had been hoping that once I had arrived on Crestwood's campus, the nightmare that I've been having would go away. It hasn't.

I may be an inexperienced seventeen-year-old, but I'm grounded...sane. Since meeting sophomore Reed Wellington, however, nothing makes any sense. Whenever he is near, I feel an attraction to him--a magnetic kind of force pulling me towards him. I know what you're thinking...that sounds fairly awesome. Yeah, it would--if he liked me, but Reed acts as if I'm the worst thing that's ever happened to Crestwood...or him. But, get this, for some reason every time I turn around he's there, barging into my life.

What is the secret he is keeping from me? I'm hoping that it is anything but what I expect: that he is not exactly normal...and neither am I. So maybe Crestwood won't be the making of me, but it could be the breaking of me. I have been left to wonder if the dark future my dream is foretelling is...inescapable.


Genre: YA/Paranormal Romance
Series: The Premonition #1
Rating: 3.5 (4)☆s 


I really enjoyed reading this book. Even though I'm not too crazy about it, it is worthy enough for me to continue. I think the blurb provides a fairly detailed account of the story's background, so I will be not be summarizing as much. 

Because of a full-ride scholarship, Evie Claremont decides to attend Crestwood( a private,liberal college for rich kids). There she meets Reed Wellington, whom she feels instantly attracted to despite the fact that he seems to hate her guts. Evie realizes that her reoccurring nightmares, ability to heal faster than norm, and premonition visions makes her something more than human. Little did she know that her presence at Crestwood is not merely a coincidence.  She is the only angel-hybrid in the world with a soul, marking her  as the biggest target to all fallen angels. In the midst of an angel war, she needs Reed for guidance and protection, but nobody mentioned anything about falling in love.

First thing's first.The humorous tone in this book surprised me. When I read the blurb, I just assumed it's going to be one of those dark-gritty paranormal books with an ass-kickin' heroine (not that Evie isn't lovable) that needs to stop angels from terrorizing the world.  Mind you , it is not like a "bad-cheesy" type of funny but more like "witty" funny. Not that being humorous is a bad thing, I need a laugh every now and then, but it just threw me off a bit. Although I do have to say some of the dialogue are cringe-worthy. For example when Evie says,"We get to work on unloading my swag from his truck", she means getting her luggage. She also said "This is so gonna pop." I. CAN'T. What does that even mean?

Let's talk about characters...

Evie is a likable heroine. Unlike most people, I don't usually have a problem with the heroine  unless she is really dense,ignorant, and selfish.  Evie is none of that. She is  a funny, talkative, bubbly gal. Although it would've been better if she didn't always play the role of a damsel in distress.
When Evie first met Reed, I totally had an Edward Cullen moment. Reed is like that badass, mysterious guy who acts like he hates you but secretly watches you sleep at night.Hmm, that's not weird at all.Like Edward, Reed runs on an odd temperature and has been living since the dawn of time. Unlike Edward, he is  hot rather than cold.  (Other than Reed's intial reaction to Evie, I really don't see any similarities between Twilight and Inescapable). 
Now time for the unpopular opinion...I don't mind love triangles. Let me tell you now that there is a LT-esque relationship in this book. I don't think this counts as a spoiler since the reader can practically predict it from the beginning of the book. The players in this lovely, triangular emotional tug-of-war of love are Evie, Reed, and Russel. The reason I wouldn't categorize this book as a real LT because Evie didn't really give Russel a  fair chance. Russel is such a sweet, considerate kid.Plus, you can't forget about that southern accent. I felt sorry for him. :( If I ever meet my soulmate (which I highly doubt I will), I will never let him go. BUT in all honesty by the end of the book, Reed also won my heart(he's just not as adorable).

Funny Moments:
"I don't need anyone to protect me when I have this!"I say in a desperate tone. Pushing the Taser into his side, I release the safety and pull the trigger. The hot, kinetic sizzle of electricity snarls through the gun and into his torso, but Reed doesn't fall down and start twitching like in the demonstration video.

"He shouldn't just walk around like that; it's obscene to have to look at someone so perfect. He should do the world a favor and eat a donut or two, sheesh."

"Then what are we, Reed? Because seriously, if some big alien bug cracks me open form the inside and starts wiggling out, I'm going to be really ticked off that you didn't warn me."

Final thoughts: 
This book is a  light, enjoyable read, I will be continuing into book 2. I usually like books to be more action-packed, so this is part of the reason it received a lower rating. Props to Ms. Bartol for having her debut book to be such a hit among most readers! If you like like YA paranormal/urban-fantasy books to begin with, give this a try! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and read every comment. If you leave a proper link, I will be sure to check it out. :)