Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: Forever my Girl by Heidi McLaughlin

“Her tear-streaked face is beautiful. I want to wipe away her tears. I want to take the last ten years and erase them. I want to start over.” 

Blurb:

I was never supposed to be a rock star. I had my life all planned out for me. Play football in college. Go to the NFL. Marry my high school sweetheart and live happily ever after. 

I broke both our hearts that day when I told her I was leaving. I was young. I made the right decision for me, but the wrong decision for us. I’ve poured my soul into my music, but I’ve never forgotten her. Her smell, her smile. 

And now I’m going back. 

After ten years. 

I hope I can explain that after all this time. 


I still want her to be my forever girl.

Genre: Borderline YA/ New Adult
Series: Beaumont #1
Rating: 3.5 (4)☆s


Josephine and Liam were supposed to be the couple, the type that people will call the lucky ones. They were high school sweethearts (aww). A head cheerleader and captain of the football team that will eventually settle down in a small town, marry, have a white picket fence, 2 and a half kids, and a golden retriever. Then have a happily ever after to seal the deal, right? Unfortunately, this type of cookie cutter life does not exist in reality nor does it in this story.

Liam used to think he has his life planned ahead of him-college, football, and Josie. Hoping to discover a life outside his small town, he took an opportunity to live the high life and pursue his dream job as a rock star.  Right at the peak of his career, rather than feeling proud and content, he realized the best decision for his career was the worst mistake for his life, costing him the happiness of his lifetime. Leaving Josie broke both of their hearts. Fast forwarding to the future, Liam returns to Beaumont to attend his best friend's funeral, which opens up old wounds as he is forced to face the past.

Poor Josie had it worse. The boy she was going to marry turned his back on her with no warning. Leaving her pregnant, Josie had to cope with loss of Liam and raising a fatherless child. I could definitely understand all the overwhelming feelings of pain, anger, sadness, and desire she struggled with upon Liam's return. Now with Noah(their son) in the picture, Liam is going to make sure that he has a role in their lives even if it meant rekindling their past.

A major plus for me is the alternating POVs. Personally, I have a preference for first person. But for romance novels, I'll also like to know what the guy is thinking. Each chapter is headed with the name of the character's POV, so you don't have to guess who's talking.

This is a story of lessons in love, second chances, and redemption. We all have to work hard to achieve our HEAs.  This isn't one of those happy sappy romances nor is it as dramatic as those with emotional coasters. Forever My Girl definitely straddle between young-adult and new adult. Because I feel like the concept of the story (with marriage and kids) is more adult theme, however this book only has 1 sex scene since it is somewhat YA.

Overall, an enjoyable read. If you like romances then this is the book for you. If you don't then too bad, just kidding, sort of.  I am very exhausted right now. 

“I love you, Liam.”
“You’re forever my girl.” 





2 comments:

  1. Oh I hope he gets to start over! Sounds like a great book!

    My Swoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little tease at the top. I hope he gets his wish.
    Great review too! Glad you enjoyed the story.

    Thanks for stopping by my Swoon :)

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read every comment. If you leave a proper link, I will be sure to check it out. :)